SQL Server Performance

MSDE 2G limitations

Discussion in 'General Developer Questions' started by Chappy, Aug 18, 2003.

1. Chappy New Member

A few questions on MSDE please..

Presumably the 2G per database limit still applies ?
    When does the limit kick in? is it the same as setting max DB size to 2G ?

Is tempdb limited by the same limitation? Could a large transaction push tempdb up to 2G and then fail because of this?

the 2G limit isnt a problem in itself, but I am deploying a single user app which may well require more than 2G as it performs heavy batches of computations/transactions.

Thanks
  2. gaurav_bindlish New Member

If data is a problem, u can have multiple databases on the same server as there is no restriction on the no. of databases on the server.

Gaurav
    Man thrives, oddly enough, only in the presence of a challenging environment- L. Ron Hubbard
  3. Twan New Member

pardon my French but 2G worth of tempdb is a frig of a large transaction... You would surely be able to rework the transaction so that it fits in well within the 2G mark...? Otherwise where does the data come from since you wouldn't have 2G in a single db to start off with...?

The 2G limit does seem to be enforced as per a max database size limit in the other versions

Cheers
    Twan
  4. Chappy New Member

Yes youre right, 2G is a very large transaction considering theres less than 2G of data.
    I expect my problem will not be the transaction size, so much as the fact that the processing involved produces lots of interim tables in order to get the analysis results it needs.
    Since the data is expected to weigh in at around 1.4G, im starting to investigate the 2G limit.

Guarav, thanks. I do intend to split out into different databases

Is the limit as strict as if i had set the database growth to 0? Ie, will the error caused be the same ? Im running on SQL server not MSDE at the moment, and so its difficult to check.

Thanks
  5. gaurav_bindlish New Member

I can check from my office tomorrow. I have MSDE installed there.

Will post you on the same...

Gaurav
    Man thrives, oddly enough, only in the presence of a challenging environment- L. Ron Hubbard