SQL Server Performance

Named Instance for Sharepoint only visible localy

Discussion in 'SQL Server 2005 General DBA Questions' started by davidfarr, Aug 10, 2010.

1. davidfarr Member

As MS Sharepoint administrators will know; MS Sharepoint installs a named instance of <servername>OFFICESERVERS on SQL Server 2005 Express, if no existing server is specified.
    I was recently tasked with upgrading this version to SQL Server 2005 Standard Edition. I noticed during this process that this Express instance was only visible from client connections localy on the server. I implemented the upgrade successfully and applied Service Pack 3. All of this has been successful without any errors and Sharepoint itself (which runs via IIS localy) is running correctly.
    However, I am still only able to connect to the instance localy. Any remote client connections get the "[SQL server driver][DBNETLIB]SQL server does not exist or access denied" message. The instance does not appear in the browser list of remote management tools. Connection attempts using IP address instead of instance name also fail. Both SQL logins and Windows Authentication logins fail. The server is configured to allow both.
    I have already investigated the usual suspects; Surface Area Configuration is set to allow local and remote connections. SQL Server Browser service is running. Names Pipes and TCP/IP has been Enabled in Network Configuration. Dynamic ports is enabled, in additon to the default port of 1433.
    Other network related functions are running without problem. The server can be 'pinged', Remote Desktop is working, file explorer etc. What else could I be missing here ?
  2. melvinlusk Member

I know you can ping it and RDP is working, but maybe Windows Firewall is enabled without an exception for port 1433?
  3. davidfarr Member

As follow up;
    I have been able to connect from a remote connection by specifying a port number; <servername>OFFICESERVERS,1433 in my connection string.
    It solves my immediate problem; although I would still be curious to know why this is necessary (if anyone knows), as I had believed that SQL Server client tools attempt this port by default. I have never previously needed to specify the default port in a connection.
    My understanding is that the SQL Server Browser is responsible for redirecting connections to the correct port, especially for named instances, but does not appear to be doing this correctly in this case, even though the Browser service is running without errors.
  4. satya Moderator

Port 1433 is default used for SQL SErver connectivity,
    Another application or service has taken control of the port before SQL Server starts. (Although port 1433 is reserved for use by SQL Server, Winsock applications use random ports above 1024 and therefore may bind to port 1433.) see further explanation from this KBA http://support.microsoft.com/kb/287932 in thsi regard.