SQL Server Performance

net sqlclient data provider error

Discussion in 'SQL Server 2005 General Developer Questions' started by srimkumarp, Dec 30, 2008.

1. srimkumarp New Member

Hi All, One user is getting error while working the windows application.
    He is end user .he is not using SQL Server , any other tools.Developers are reporting that it is database access problem.
    Even same error is getting long back also.
    ERROR:-
    An error has occurred while establishing a connection to the server when connecting to SQL server 2005, this failure may be caused by the fact that under default settings SQL server does not allow remote connection. ( provider: Named Pipes Provider, error: 40 - could not open a connection to SQL server. )
    can any one please do the needful
  2. gbd77rc New Member

Hi
    This error can range from a lot of connection issues from Vista firewall blocking the tcp port, to SQL server instance not having TCP protocol enabled (which I would be surprised) or the trusted user account or SQL user being used does not have access to the server. Named Pipes Provider is usally the last protocol to be tried from the client side before it gives up (I don't know if this is by design, but from experience I have always noticed this behaviour, maybe someone else on the form can give a better description of this). There is at least one application on that end user machine trying to connect to a SQL server.
    I would first test the connection issue from a known working system to make sure it is not the SQL server causing the problem before going to the end user's machine.
    Regards
    Richard...
  3. srimkumarp New Member

wish u a very happy and prosperous newyear to all
    In your environment we've all client machine are windows xp platforms.sometimes only one user is getting error massage and for all at time.
    only one windows application is giving problem other widows and web applications are working fine without any issues for all end users.
    thanks
    kumar
  4. satya Moderator

Check if you have done the following,

1. Ensure that you have enabled remote connections
    2. Ensure that Sql Browser is started
    3. Try connecting using <<Servername, port number>>
    4. Ensure that you have created exception in firewall for Sqlservr.exe
    See this KBA http://support.microsoft.com/kb/914277 too.
  5. srimkumarp New Member

i have checked the below things every thing is enabled.
    1. Ensure that you have enabled remote connections
      • Ensure that Sql Browser is started
        • Try connecting using <<Servername, port number>>
          • Ensure that you have created exception in firewall for Sqlservr.exe
        • from last two days i observed there was no problem.sometimes we are getting this error message for users.
  6. satya Moderator

If the error is intermittent then make sure to note down for which users this is occuring more.