SQL Server Performance

New look...

Discussion in 'Please Tell Us What You Think' started by GRayburn, Aug 7, 2007.

1. GRayburn New Member

Gotta say, I'm not all that impressed with at least the Forums section of the new site. It takes significantly longer to load a thread, my browser flickers while all the dynamic content resizes itself and the usability has dropped significantly, along with the performance. What used to take a second or two to load, now takes ten, content displays then refreshes to 'fit' the dynamic content.
    Reading a thread is now very slow, takes much more time to load and is generally tougher to use altogether due to a LOT more (mouse) clicky-clicky action. I defenitly preferred the 'old' Snitz over this...
  2. DilliGrg Member

I have to agree on this one. It was much easier to browse/post etc in the old forum. I used to visit the old forum at least once a day regularly, now it feels kinda pain to visit the new site. Probably I am not used to with this new site. Anyway, the old forum was much more user friendly. Just my two cents.[:)]
  3. FrankKalis Moderator

I guess that are mostly starting problems. For me the new forum loads much faster than the old one. Snitz took sometimes quite long to load.
  4. admin Guest

Performance is an issue with CS forums (although I don't notice the all the resizing Grayburn experienced).
    I am looking at improving the performance - although I am not sure how big the impact will be.
  5. Akthar New Member

i am having slow loading of the new html message box control. have some great features , but still takes a while to load
  6. satya Moderator

There are few teething problems though, which can be fixed over time I feel.
    But I must admit I'm able to reply faster than in Snitz [:p][;)]
  7. GRayburn New Member

The resizing issue happens when you click on a forum topic and it opens the thread. I get an initial load of the thread box, then my screen is completely refreshed and the thread box re-loaded.
    I also get a lot of resizing/refreshing when replying to a topic. It now takes probably an average of 15 seconds to load a thread so that I can read it, and it takes several seconds and refreshes to reply to a topic as well.
    Too many bells & whistles get in the way of basic functionality in my opinion. How about offering up a lower 'user experience' site without all the dynamic 'richness' in addition to the CS version?
  8. ndinakar Member

[quote user="admin"]
    Performance is an issue with CS forums (although I don't notice the all the resizing Grayburn experienced).
    I am looking at improving the performance - although I am not sure how big the impact will be.
    [/quote]
    You are right Jude. Performance has been a problem with CS. We had "n" number of complaints as ASP.NET Forums.
    And I think its obvious because it loads so much stuff as comapred to Snitz which was more like bare-bones. There's pros and cons either way.
    By the way, there is a "code editor" button thats available for the same textbox on ASP.NET forums, that formats the code based on if its C# or VB.NET or SQL etc. Can we get that here?