SQL Server Performance

New SQL Server 2005 server setup question

Discussion in 'SQL Server 2005 Performance Tuning for Hardware' started by mikecare, Jan 3, 2008.

1. mikecare New Member

I'm working with my IT dept to set up my new server (the old one is off lease) just like the older one. It turns out it is non standard from company policy. The standard is 1 large drive partitioned into a C (15.6 GB) and D (801 GB). I have 3 databases, 1 is an OLTP system about 95 GB that is approx 70% writes and another is a reporting database about 35 GB and the last is where we archive our OLTP data about 60 GB.
    My IT departments explanation for wanting to doing something else is: "The server has a C: drive and a D: drive. Both drives are hosted by the same controller. The fact that the physical drives are 15K SAS rather than 10K SCSI will provide higher performance. The RAID used by the controller is not a driving factor. The customer is speaking from older technology rules, based on software RAID rather than hardware RAID. The RAID level is a design rather than a requirement; a requirement would be the Msec access times. RAID-5 is the standard for Server Build and Database teams. I see no need to introduce a special configuration…"
    Does this make sense or should I push for different drives?
  2. MohammedU New Member

3. bertcord New Member

I would use a set of mirrored drives for the TLOG of your OLTP database. I would put the rest of the drives in a RAID10. How many spindles does your system have?
  4. mikecare New Member

My system has 7 drives in this server. The server team wants to RAID 5 the whole drive with different drive letters.
  5. satya Moderator

Sounds reasonable in this case, further I can say that RAID 10 offers better availability than RAID 5 and better performance especially for write-intensive applications.
    It may have 50% adverse impact on write intensive work load when moving to RAID 5. The impact on performance of RAID 5 is dependent on the hardware vendor’s implementation of RAID 5 and the characteristics of your particular work load. You should not assume that you will get a 50% adverse impact – it could be higher or lower.