SQL Server Performance

normalised structure

Discussion in 'SQL Server 2005 General Developer Questions' started by shankbond, Nov 6, 2009.

1. shankbond New Member

hi,
    I need some advice for a table structure, I need to create a table such as it can store the serial number , the total years of experience along with the corresponding domain , I plan to make two columns one for serial number and other for storing the remaining.
    there can be number of domains in which a candidate can have experience on; I plan to separate these experience with a semicolon , but there is one more thing also we have to search specific domains with respective experience. I believe the table structure will not be efficiently searching.
    So is there a better structure for the table?
    please reply
  2. Adriaan New Member

Yes, you should set it up as a 1-to-many relationship, a.k.a. parent/child tables. Check out the appropriate sections in Books Online ...
    Storing stuff in separated-whatever format may seem easier to do, but in fact it makes real-world db work a lot more difficult than it needs to be (before even considering indexes, which is another big point in favour of normalization).