SQL Server Performance

OLEDB Error - Login Fails - ASP/SQL Server

Discussion in 'SQL Server 2005 General Developer Questions' started by sql_jr, Oct 1, 2009.

1. sql_jr New Member

hi, forum:
    I know that this may not be the best forum, but hoping the wide array of experience can provide some help. I have an ASP web application that connects via sql authentication to a sql server in another domain. Sporadically (but too many times to ignore), the page outputs the following error:
    ------------------------------------------------
    Microsoft OLE DB Provider for SQL Server error '80040e4d'
    Login failed for user 'myuser'.
    /MYaspPage.asp, line 85
    -----------------------------------------------
    User and p/w is confirmed to be correct, and can connect with same credentials via sqlcmd/isql. I need some potential solution and/or direction with this.
    Any ideas and causes are appreciated!
    TIA
  2. Adriaan New Member

I don't think insulting our forum is going to help you get an answer.[;)]
    Does the error refer to the same asp page, and to the same line number? You'd have to check the exact code in asp to verify that everything gets initialized the same way all the time.
  3. sql_jr New Member

Oh, yes...same asp page, same line number and OLEDB connection string. H-E-L-P!
  4. Adriaan New Member

"I know that this may not be the best forum" --- but we are the best forum. How can you think otherwise? [:^)]
    Check out other places in the same ASP project where a connection is being made, and see if there's any difference with the code that sets up the connection on this particular page.
  5. ghemant Moderator

6. sql_jr New Member

Thanks for replies. OMG, I would never, ever think of insulting you guys. I thought it an insult to the forum as wasn't sure if completley SQL [:$].
    Anyways, I don't think the link here provides what I'm looking for - its a custom asp page and not office app??
    I can say the user connects via VPN, which is ALWAYS connected, and can login via SSMS and sqlcmd with login and p/w ALL the time, but not so via the web-site/IIS. PLEASE - ANY OTHER IDEAS? Thx