SQL Server Performance

Problems with SQL 2008 Database Mail on Windows XP SP3

Discussion in 'SQL Server 2008 Questions [Archive Only - Closed]' started by GordonLiddy, Dec 11, 2008.

1. GordonLiddy New Member

Howdy!

I seem to have serious problems with getting Database Mail (DBM) working... As I see it, i have tried pretty much everything that i can think of. I'm running SQL Server 2008 Developer Edition.

- Created DBM Profile and account with working SMTP-server using MS SMTP.

- There's no problem using the SMTP-server when telnetting through it (on port 25, which is the one that's being used for SMTP in our network) or by mailing with a mail client. It has Anonymous Authentication set, and no IP or domain restrictions... The server works, and theres no typo... But with DBM: No luck.

- Disabled local virus protection (McAfee)

- Enabled DBM, running sp_configure 'Database Mail XPs', 1;

- Enabled DBM in SQL Agent

- Enabled Service Broker

- Ran "EXEC msdb.dbo.sysmail_help_status_sp;" ... returns STARTED

- Ran "sysmail_help_queue_sp" ... returns state = INACTIVE on both "mail" and "status"

- Restarted service using: sysmail_stop_sp, sysmail_start_sp

- Executing DBM-script to send mail with different SQL accounts (personal and service account) which are both sysadmins.

- select * from sysmail_allitems, returns sent_status = unsent

- select * from sysmail_faileditems, returns sent_status = failed

What is it that I'm not seeing in my configuration?
    The SQL and SMTP log doesn't say anything [Sad]

It seems like the DBM doesnt leave the SQL server ... to be recieved by SMTP. Weirdness!

Very thankful for help!
    Sincerely Yours,

Gord
  2. satya Moderator

Welcome to the forums.
    Is this working earlier to XP SP3 or on any other machine with pre-XP SP3 configuration?
  3. GordonLiddy New Member

It was an easy fix, but I hade a hard time finding where the problem was... A colleague of mine reminded me that the service account also has to be a member of the local administrators group. I'll probably never ever gonna forget that one again...
  4. satya Moderator

Ah cool, glad to know that the problem was a small one to fix and appreciateyour feedback here too.