SQL Server Performance

SELECT * FROM Employees

Discussion in 'EditorsBlog' started by shanetasker, Dec 23, 2008.

1. shanetasker New Member

As someone that can speak fluently in just one language I always feel inadequate when I visit other countries where English is not the native language. As not only can the locals speak the native language they often can speak English as well. Having spent quite a bit of time travelling throughout Europe I am always amazed when people can also fluently speak the languages of the surrounding countries. In many professional circles such as science, mathematics, and IT, most communication is performed using English. Where it starts to become interesting is when trying to communicate a topic using a language other than English.
    Often the uptake of a particular concept is more appropriate in the local language as it means that the concepts can be concentrated on rather than the translation. What is interesting though is the current rate of growth in countries such as China and India. Currently English is the most widely spoken language in the world; however, on current predictions, in 25 years time Mandarin will be the most commonly spoken language. English will become the third most spoken language behind Mandarin and then Spanish. So I wonder if SELECT * FROM employees will change if English is no longer the dominant language?
    - Peter Ward
  2. HanShi New Member

I'm European and as you said it is quite common to learn multipple languages. I am native Dutch speaker, but I also get around with English and German. Besides that I am currently learning Mandarin Chinese (mainly for holiday purposes).But I don't see the SELECT * FROM change very soon. That will only happen when a company from China becomes dominant with a competative database application. But you never say never...Best wishes for the coming new year to all!!