SQL Server Performance

Setting Thresholds for Mirroring Alerts

Discussion in 'SQL Server 2005 Database Mirroring' started by Fais, Dec 31, 2007.

1. Fais New Member

Hi all,
    I have configured some Mirroring alerts based on Micosoft's documents. & i went through Satya's slideshow on Mirroring.
    If you can help me in setting some of the "Thresholds" for the Mirroiring alerts. That will be helpful, because i didnt see anywhere about the actual threshold limits setting for alerts ( In Production). Any approx. also OK.
    At Principal:
    (a) Unsent Log = ------ KB
    (b) Oldest Unsent Transaction = ---- Minutes
    At Mirror:
    (c) Unrestored Log = ---- KB.
    (d) Mirror Commit Overhead = --- MilliSeconds
    Thanks again.
  2. MohammedU New Member

3. Fais New Member

I went through the same document, & configured the alerts except the four i mentioned.
    Satya gave me some suggestions : " I recommend that you consider looking at "Batch Requests/sec" as a better indicator of how much work is being processed" for calculating Transaction Growth ( sqlserver-qa.net). This will help to know the transaction growth rate.
    If you think from any other side of the fence, plz let me know, so that we can put optimum values for thresholds and i'll do what satya said also.
    Mohammed br. long time no see...
    Thanks.
  4. satya Moderator

Fais
    The reason I haven't replied here that we discussed it already, I would like to hear from fellow members too in thsi case.
    As suggested it is hard to state so and so value is optimum in your case, in any case if you do not see any issues with the performance during the mirroring or any other queires taking longer time to execute when failed to Mirror server then you should be worried about consistency of server configuration between the DBM pair.
    You can collect the relevant counter by running during busy times & less traffic hours to get more information.