SQL Server Performance

Should 64-Bit be used for most 2005 installations?

Discussion in 'SQL Server 2005 Performance Tuning for Hardware' started by DBADave, Aug 15, 2007.

1. DBADave New Member

Inside Microsoft SQL Server 2005: The Storage Engine, by Kalen Delaney says in Chapter 2...
    "Unless you are working only with very small databases and do not expect to need more than a couple of gigabytes of RAM, you should definitely consider running a 64-bit edition of SQL Server 2005"
    Do you agree?
    I ask because we only have a handlful of 2005 servers with one being 64-bit, but between 50 and 60 SQL 2000 servers on a 32-bit OS. After reading Kalen's advice I'm wondering if I should be converting our 2005 servers to 64-bit and plan on migrating our SQL 2000 32-bit servers to 64-bit 2005.
    Also, the vast majority of our applications are vendor packages. Some packages access a shared database server while others have servers dedicated to the vendor's application. When it comes to 64-bit SQL Server, is it necessary to ask the vendor if they support 64-bit SQL Server or should this be irrelevant to an application, provided the database server is dedicated to running SQL Server 2005? The only concern I can think of is if the vendor has not tested how well their application performs on 64-bit SQL 2005, but wouldn't performance either be the same or better then 32-bit. I don't want to over-simplify things.
    Thanks, Dave
  2. satya Moderator

I agree parts of that suggestion, also I've blogged a bit of this information here from my experience.
    Going forward I see 64 bit will be taking over completely as we have seen death to 16bit when 32 bit evovled during the year 2000. But for the databases platform I see it 'always' depends upon the usage of the application and 64 bit is 'not' an option at all. If you are considering the consolidation for similar app.databases then yes 64 bit is best bet to go, as we manage multiple database & instances on such server.
    Well I feel this is a never ending topic, lot of considerations are involved.
  3. DBADave New Member

Satya,
    Is it possible for an application that functions well on 32-bit SQL 2005 to not function on 64-bit SQL 2005? I would assume the SQL commands would be indifferent to the OS, however I can see where performance may be different given how memory is managed.
    Dave
  4. satya Moderator

There is a possibility of performance loss as compared to 32 bit when it is depolyed in 64 bit, but there are other factors such as query & indexes in the same way. Though 64 bit handles such within memory but having poor plan doesn't help much either way. So I believe this is not a constraint for 64 bit or limited to 32 bit.