SQL Server Performance

Shrinking databases

Discussion in 'SQL Server 2005 General DBA Questions' started by Akonicov, Dec 15, 2010.

1. Akonicov New Member

I'm getting some conflicting answers from my IT and I need help.
    Is it true that I need 450 free gigs to shrik a 450 gig database. Because Im down to 80 gigs on one of my servers (big problem).
    Ive suggested that we move other databases off of this particular server, zip them, and then move them back. But I've been informed that we dont have any space on any other boxes either...
    PLEASE HELP!!!!!
    PS we have an immediate need for a SQL expert. Job is based in Rhode Island, USA. Please call my cell phone if interested (781-775-6393). We pay well.
  2. Luis Martin Moderator

You can shrink step by step.
    That means:
    Shrink files, no database and begin with shrinking 20 or 30GB instead all database.
    Did you try that?
  3. Akonicov New Member

Good suggestion Luis, but I dont think it will help in this case.
    I'm dealing with the size limitation by deleting tables in their entirety. However, I am not removing columns/rows from the tables themselves.
    Therefore, I dont think there is anything to shrink on a per table basis.
  4. Akonicov New Member

Can I zip (and not shrink) table by table?
  5. Luis Martin Moderator

"Ive suggested that we move other databases off of this particular server, zip them, and then move them back. But I've been informed that we dont have any space on any other boxes either..."
    Is that is one solution to you, download Red Gate Backup trial 14 days. It zip (quickly) up to 85% of total database. Of course you can, also, restore ziped backup.

6. satya Moderator

Generally I don't recommend the SHRINK of database unless there are underlying freespace issues. In this case you do have one so I say check the open tranasction on the database and transaction log job schedule to see how quickly the log or data is growing.