SQL Server Performance

SQL 2000/2005 Server perfomance Turning

Discussion in 'SQL Server 2005 Performance Tuning for Hardware' started by vuyiswam, Sep 2, 2008.

1. vuyiswam New Member

Good Morning All
    In my Organisation we have a ASP Classic Application that runs on SQL 2000 and we are experiencing perfomance problems. The Application was perfoming well in the Same Server , but because of the number of users that increases Montly or Weekly we are in Trouble. I would like to give a Spec of the DB Server.Firstly we are sharing a server with other Applications. The Server OS is 2000, Memory 1 GIG,Primary HD is 19.5 and the Free Space is 631 mb. and my Users are Approximately 100. We have another Server with SQL 2005 and my Application will be the only app running from there. Here is the Spec of the Destination Server Ram = 3.95 GIG, Processor= 1.40 GHz, its an Itenium2 Processor, HD Primary HD is 24GIG and there is 8GIG left.Well its better than the Current one , but it has its future problems. in the very same server i have an 2 extra HD's with a free space of 8GIG each. Is it possible for SQL to use these two Drive for Catching purpose ? I know the Spec says it all that our Hardware is strong for Servers that run Applications with a lot of Users. what can we change so that we dont move to Temp Server in the Future what should be take into Consideration when moving from 2000 to 2005.
    Thank you
  2. preethi Member

Your question is not clear to me. I understand you have two servers one with SQL 2000 and other with SQL 2005. Now What are you trying to do? Are you tring to move the sql 2000 database into 2005 server? Looks like in all servers the database is stored in the same drive as OS. IS that so? Are you thinking of using the extra hard disks to use to move the SQL 2000 databases into new server?
    Please re-phrase the question.