SQL Server Performance

SQL 2008 DB Mail issue

Discussion in 'SQL Server 2008 General DBA Questions' started by patdev00, Nov 3, 2011.

1. patdev00 New Member

Hi all,

I have SQL 2008 SP1 (64 bit ) on Windows 2008 R2. I am trying to run Database mail. I put in all informatino correct but gettinog bellow error:

The mail could not be sent to the recipients because of the mail server failure. (Sending Mail using Account 1 (2011-11-03T12:53:02). Exception Message: Cannot send mails to mail server. (The SMTP server requires a secure connection or the client was not authenticated. The server response was: 5.7.1 Client was not authenticated).
    )

what is wrong?

thanks
  2. Shehap MVP, MCTS, MCITP SQL Server

For such circumstances , it might be correlated to different assumptions like :

· Mail Server secure port (default 443 ) is blocked between DB server + Mail server by some Firewall port device or Antivirus setting or Windows Firewall port
    itself..etc
    · Mail Server use different secure port rather than that one set through DB mail configuration terms.

· Sender Account used is already blocked or expired ..

Please try these assumptions and please let me know your input
  3. ghemant Moderator

are you sure you have configured the db mail properly ? I guess the smtp server you are using accepts SSL connection / required you to provide authentication. Please check with your network/security team if they have configured exchange/mail server to accept ssl /secure authentication and if so, check mark the box which says "this server requires a secure connection(ssl)" while configuring db mail.
  4. johnson_ef Member

I would also suggest to apply SP2 on the Server. It really make sense. SP2 build will never break any of your code as per my info (try it on dev or test box before you try it on Production as best practice). SP2 gives 2 important features like:
    Multi-Server Management Compatibility with SQL Server 2008
    Data-tier Application (DAC) Support.

You can leverage these options if you have a SQL Server 2008 R2 Enterprise edition in your environment and add to it for MSM and you can also leverage UCP. These options are not available from SP1.
    All the best.
    -Johnson
  5. satya Moderator

Why not SP3 which is out fresh there for SQL2008, though there aren't any specific improvments pertaining to DBMail from these service packs. It gives the best practice option to keep the Service pack levels to the latest patch.
  6. johnson_ef Member

Yes, I second you Satya. What I said from my specific environment background. We do not apply SPs soon it launched. We will kept the latest SP in DEV environment for at least 1 to 2 Quarter and then we start applying it on across. I suggested SP2, because its already 1 one year completed and pretty much stabilized. :)
  7. satya Moderator

Well don't get me wrong you are wasting time here, as the service packs are tested fully before releasing to the public, in order to look into stabilization is not required.
    You may know that since 2005 version onwards Microsoft is releasing the RTM, service packs and cumulative update packages as CTP first where multiple users will have tested them and post back the feedback to improve the bugs and issues.

So in any case I suggest and recommend you to test the service pack releases straight away without any waiting, I would for Cumulative update package you can wait because they will be implemented in next SP release anyway. I recommend to read understanding Incremental Servicing Model for SQL Server.
  8. johnson_ef Member

Thanks Satya
  9. satya Moderator