SQL Server Performance

SQL 2008 R2 Std CPU usage

Discussion in 'ALL SQL SERVER QUESTIONS' started by AlexSdav, Jul 24, 2012.

1. AlexSdav New Member

Hi at all.
    i've a problem on my costumers with a CPU Usage of SQL 2k8 R2 std.
    I've update the server from Express to Std, but i've a problem, it always use only one core.
    I've try to modify the affinity and the MAXDOP some time it's solve this issues, the SQL server start to use all Core
    i've a DELL server with 1 CPU 6 core 32GB Ram hdd SAS 15k win2k8 r2 std

but some time nothing change .. .in this moment SQL Server use 17% of CPU and it corrisponding to 1 core and the system was very slow, it take 24sec for give a response to a query ...

How i solve this issues?

Thanks for the help.
  2. Shehap MVP, MCTS, MCITP SQL Server

It is heavily recommended to use this new 2008 "Resource Governor" to be able to govern CPU resource for all of the transactions coming from any application easily and transparently without any need to change codes …

Despite of that , I do think CPU resource is irrelevant reason here but I was contemplating the query itself is looking for some T-SQL or Index optimizations to speed up its performance , but before that can you update statistics and rebuild indexes to assure no assumption is relevant to these aspects (Kindly Take care of index rebuild since it will run in offline mode due to standard edition you are using )

If it still persist , you might forward to me the relevant expensive queries to be able to figure out any possible T-SQL /Index enhancements for them
  3. AlexSdav New Member

Thanks Shehap now i've a conference call and after i try and tell you a results.
    by your reply i understand i'm not explain very well, i'm sorry for my english ...
    So..
    There is a software called Concept with a DB name on SQL also called concept, this software is a management software like SAP ...
    when user browse on the order can explode the order and see all entry on this order, when user explode the order SQL Server work and use ONLY 1 core of 6 and use it at 100% and after 16/24 sec the order is ben open.
    I try to modify the affinity to set manual and change the MAXDOP from 0 to 4, 5, 6 .. sometime it work, end when user open the order get a reply on 3/4 sec and the SQL Server use all CPU but sometime not .... this is my problem and i want to solve this ..

i'm not a DBA i'm a System Administrator ...
    Thanks for any help.
  4. Shehap MVP, MCTS, MCITP SQL Server

Therefore, I do believe much it is a purely DB issue relevant to the query that it produces inconsistent performance reads due to some shortage either in T-SQL code aspect or Index aspect and it has nothing to do with CPU resources

Not to make it hard on you , just please post to me the relevant T-SQL code (You can get Aid of developers or APP support for that regard) and I am going to figure out for you the needed enhancements to scale up the stress power of this T-SQL code for the most consistent performance reads