SQL Server Performance

SQL 2008 r2 web edtion as a reporting server

Discussion in 'SQL Server 2008 General DBA Questions' started by WingSzeto, Sep 13, 2011.

1. WingSzeto Member

We are looking into saving money if certain SQL edition can achieve what we need. We have SQl 2008 standard x64 edition running on windows 2008 x64 server edition. We use transactional push replication to our reporting servers. All reporting servers have the same SQL 2008 standard version and act as a subscriber and that's only thing they do. These reporting servers are used by our web applications and internal MS Access users for reporting purposes.

Recently I came across the SQL 2008 R2 web edition and it looks like it may fulfill our reporting server requirements and save us some money if we just need to buy the web edition instead of the standard SQL edition.

As I look at the feature comparison on various editions, the wed edition does allow subscriber on it, which is all we need. The memory and cpu requirements are adequate. Is there any getcha for using web edition to be a reporting server setup? Have anyone tried this at all? We are not using reporting service yet but under web edition, it only allows reporting service to use 4 GB. Is it important? We may use reporting services in the future.

w
  2. melvinlusk Member

How many reporting servers (subscribers) do you have? If you are planning to use Reporting Services in the future, keep in mind that you can only use scale-out Reporting Services with the Enterprise Version of SQL.
  3. satya Moderator

In any case you can execute SELECT feature_name FROM sys.dm_db_persisted_sku_features ; statement to obtain the list of features that are supported.
    In your case you can go with WEB edition is cheaper that STANDARD to save the costs, but WEB edition can only use 4 CPUs (no problem I think) and for replication then it can act as SUBSCRIBER only and on reporting it supports majority of STANDARD features.