SQL Server Performance

SQL Cluster Service Account fails to login

Discussion in 'SQL Server 2005 Clustering' started by hany_buzz, May 28, 2008.

1. hany_buzz New Member

i'm a dba in acompany which has two cluster nodes with two instances , we deployed microsoft dpm for data protection , and we scheduled the dpm backup every 15 minites on the cluster , and every 15 minites the i found in the application event log that tha SQL Cluster Service Account fails to login
    i donot know why , if any one have an idea please tell me coz its very big problem for me
    thanks any way
  2. satya Moderator

Welcome to the forum.
    Is that cluster service account a local admin & domain admin on this environment?
    What is the error you are getting?
    Check whether password is not expired.
  3. hany_buzz New Member

thanks for your fast replay
    i got afailure audit Login failed for user 'SAsrvc-SQLCI-sqla'.
    this account is amember of adomain group that has access to sql server as apuplic ans security admin role
    but this account isn't alocal admin on the machin , should it be ?
  4. satya Moderator

Oh yes it should be [:)].
  5. hany_buzz New Member

6. hany_buzz New Member

7. hany_buzz New Member

8. hany_buzz New Member

Dear satya ;
    thanks alot , i'll make the account of the cluster service alocal admin on both nodes , and i'll tell u the result
    thanks again for your help
  9. hany_buzz New Member

i made the SQL Cluster Service Account alocal admin on both nodes , but i still receiving the same fail audit , any idea?
  10. satya Moderator

Do you have correct state of cluster or not?
    Can you perform a failover for cluster nodes in this case?
    Ensure the builtinadminsitrator group is not removed from SQL Server.
  11. hany_buzz New Member

Dear ;
    what do you mean by correct state of cluster ?
    yes i can perform a failover for cluster nodes in this state
    the builtinadministrator group is there
  12. moh_hassan20 New Member

For cluster serverer , sql service account must be a domain user (not local user). It must be the same account for both services in every node.
    The trick is, how to change the sql service account.
    Don't use the logon tab in the services applet to modify the account.
    use the SQL configuration manager (in configuration tools group), that because a master key for the database server is auto generated from within that tool, which is not done from within o.s service applet.
  13. hany_buzz New Member

brother , do you mean that the SQL Cluster Service Account - Applications must be the same on both nodes ,
    notice that i have two instance , each one on one node , but they use different SQL Cluster Service Account - Applications
    and both services are domain accounts not local accounts
  14. moh_hassan20 New Member

yes , SQL Service Account must be the same on both nodes
    SQL Server service accounts must be:
    -A domain accounts and a member of the Domain Users group.
    -The passwords should be set not to expire.
    -In every node, add that account as a member of the Local Administrators group of each node ( they should not be a member of the Domain Administrators group). Usually, that step is automatically done during installation of SQL server 2005 cluster.
    That is because local account doesn't fail over during the failover process.
    let me know:

do you use sql 2000 or sql 2005 ?
    do you use active/passive or active / active cluster.?
    What do you mean by "application" ?
    What windows o.s you use . ?
    I suppose that windows cluster service is tested for fail over on both nodes , before starting installation of sql cluster service.
  15. hany_buzz New Member

brother,
    i'm not talking about any sql accounts , i'm talking about the sql cluster service account
    it shouldn't be the same on both nodes , coz they are hosting different instances that deal with different applications
    the problem is with the sql cluster service account , it gives afailure audit every 15 minites
  16. moh_hassan20 New Member

brother,
    i'm not talking about any sql accounts , i'm talking about the sql cluster service account.
    let me know your cluster environment:
    Do you run cluster active /passive or active /active? i suppose that you use Active/passive in windows 2003.
    In every node , only one instance of sql server is running , or two? I suppose you run only one instance per node, which is fail over to the second node,
    sql engine 2000 or 2005 ?
    Do you make also a cluster for an application?

can you confirm the answer of that qs.
  17. hany_buzz New Member

active passive
    one instance per node
    i have three cluster for applications
    and one of them is the mentioned computer name for failure audite
  18. moh_hassan20 New Member

so,

be sure that the current domain account as you said in a previous post 'SAsrvc-SQLCI-sqla'. is a member of the local administrator group of that node.

if not add it to the group.

It doesn't matter whatever that account is the same as the services on the other nodes or not , only it must: domain user account AND a member of local administrator group of that node.
    i use one domain user account in my 2 node A/P, and running successfully.

i think for troubleshhoting the problem you may disjoin the node from the cluster, test that node separatly (stop/run sql service), then join the node. i hope that you can avoid that effort.
  19. hany_buzz New Member

Dear satia and mohameed
    i figured it out finnaly , the problem is with the dpm , and i'm working with it now , once its done i'll let you know
    thanks for your care