SQL Server Performance

SQL Consolidation Guidance

Discussion in 'ALL SQL SERVER QUESTIONS' started by ILikeDatabases, May 1, 2014.

1. ILikeDatabases New Member

Hi. I have two SQL Servers: one 2005 and one 2008 R2. The hardware builds -- RAM, CPU -- of the two servers are significantly different (although they are both SAN-attached.). We may need to consolidate the two into a single 2008 R2 on a larger machine at a CoLo facility. (Let's assume that the SQL 2005 databases are compatibile with 2008 R2 on the new machine and can be migrated.) I understand more or less about baselining and performance monitoring of individual SQL servers, but am a bit perplexed about how the relative performance of the existing servers may relate to the consolidation. Since the two existing instances are on different hardware, how do I extrapolate or profile how they will perform on a consolidated instance? Another way to ask the question is, what specific metrics can I look at on the existing machines to understand how they will utilize the new machine? What approach would you take to test the proposed consolidation without migrating all the production databases and users? Hope this makes sense. Thanks.
  2. AJITH123 Member

There are different factors considered for this migration.
    (1) Since both the applications are in the different server, the work load is distributed and get the best performance. But it again depends on the configuration of each machine. If the new machine is capable of handling it, then i should not cause the issue, it means the server is capable of handling number of database query hit, database size, number of users hit on both the application.
    (2) Sharing of common database resources, especially on the tempdb usage in the application.
    (3) Even though the new one using the SAN, check the I/o rate. We can copy some files from the SQL server to the storage and see it, or can use some tool to test it.
    (4) Try to migrate one by one and see the performance (i don’t believe, we can calculate “all” the performance stuff/issues before doing it). Hope the new machine/server have much better confirmation..