SQL Server Performance

SQL Database issues

Discussion in 'ALL SQL SERVER QUESTIONS' started by phunk1314, Jul 31, 2014.

1. phunk1314 New Member

Hi all,

I'm not much of SQL expert, i was hoping to get your feedback on the attached issue.

Basically the running system on sql 2008, the application freeze and i check activity monitor and notice suspended databases /lock?

System won't work until i kill the session.

Anybody know what would have cause this issue?

Attached Files:

2. melvinlusk Member

There's a lot here that could be happening with the limited information you've given. What is the application that you're referring to?

In laymans terms, SUSPENDED simply means that the query being run by that user is waiting on a resource to free before the query can continue (such as a row being locked by another user or a physical resource like CPU or disk). This can be pretty common depending on the application.

Since killing the SUSPENDED process is allowing users to use the application (which is what it sounds like is happening), you're simply terminating the blocking query and allowing users to read the data. This isn't a really good idea, and it's better to get someone to diagnose the reasons for the blocks (maybe the application vendor)?
  3. melvinlusk Member

I just looked at the screenshot you posted, SPID 98 seems to really be the culprit, since it's the "Head Blocker", which means that it's blocking many of the other transactions (like 106 and 107).