SQL Server Performance

SQL Server 2008 Adoption

Discussion in 'EditorsBlog' started by shanetasker, Dec 12, 2008.

1. shanetasker New Member

From my experience of the marketplace I would suggest that approximately 30-40% of all SQL Server instances I encounter are still on SQL Server 2000. Over the last 12 months there has been an increase in the number of organisations that are upgrading SQL Server. There are various reasons that companies decide that there is a key business or technical driver to upgrade; however, one of the main reasons is that mainstream support for SQL Server 2000 is no longer available.
    What I am seeing is that although SQL Server 2008 was released in August this year, a large number of upgrades are being made to SQL Server 2005 rather than 2008. I think that the choice of SQL Server 2005 over 2008 is largely related to the availability of Service Packs. Many people still have the attitude that they will not install a product until the first service pack has been released. Is the availability of a Service Pack stopping you from adopting SQL Server 2008, or are there other reasons?
    - Peter Ward
  2. phcahill New Member

In our case it's not only the service packs. When the company I'm working for sorted its licencing out, it bought 2005 licenses but continued to run with 2000. The upgrade to 2008 would be very expensive.
  3. pward New Member

A lot of people where caught out when they purchased Software Assurance with SQL Server 2000 hence did not purchase SA with SQK Server 2005