SQL Server Performance

SQL Server 2008 SQLMAINT Utility Fails

Discussion in 'SQL Server 2008 General DBA Questions' started by bclaxt1, Apr 3, 2009.

1. bclaxt1 New Member

I recently installed several instances of SQL Server 2008 (RTM) and noticed that the xp_sqlmaint procedure failed on each instance when trying to backup the system databases (there are no user databases yet). The exact error that I receive is shown below. After much searching, I could not find anyone who had the same issue. I realize that SQL Server 2008 has a new maintenance plan structure that incorporates Integration Services, but we prefer to use legacy maintenance plans for now because we have a central system that contains job info and pushes out jobs to many remote database servers. When I attempt to run the sqlmaint.exe file on the servers where I performed the installs, a command window opens and closes quickly with the same error message that I get in Management Studio. The only way I was able to resolve this issue was by copying the sqlmaint.exe file from one of our SQL 2005 servers and pasting it over the "corrupt" version on the SQL 2008 servers. Once I did this, everything works beautifully. I wanted to post this issue in case it could help anyone. I also wanted to know if anyone else is having this problem. Thanks.
    Msg 22029, Level 16, State 1, Line 0
    sqlmaint.exe failed.
    The SQLDMO 'Application' object failed to initialize (specific error: One of the library files needed to run this application cannot be found.)
  2. Luis Martin Moderator

Welcome to the forum and thanks for sharing!
  3. satya Moderator

Welcome to the forums.
    I believe your solution may not work in all situations, as the copy of XP_SQLMAINT is different to 2005 and 2008, in this regard Microsoft has released this KBA http://support.microsoft.com/kb/955626 to resolve this issue.
  4. bclaxt1 New Member

Thanks for the response. I actually found that KBA before posting my issue and tried both solutions with no luck. The KBA sounds like it's specifically for an upgrade from Microsoft SQL Server 2000 Service Pack 4 (SP4) to Microsoft SQL Server 2008. The four Microsoft SQL Server 2008 installs that I'm having problems with are all fresh installs, not upgrades. So I assumed that the solutions proposed in the KBA did not work for that reason.
    I was wondering if the problem could be related to a bad copy of the software. I'm currently waiting on our MSDN subscription to be renewed before trying to obtain the copy again. I also installed SP1 with no luck. Any other ideas?
  5. satya Moderator

Agreed on your points, but in general it is always to check back the source itself and if you see that file from Microsoft download is a corrupted then reporting back to them will help to rsolve the problem in one shot.
  6. bclaxt1 New Member

Thanks, Satya. I completely agree. As soon as I can get my hands on the original software, I'll try another install and see what happens. If the issue still exists, I'll get in touch with Microsoft to get it resolved. I'll post back with the final resolution.
  7. moh_hassan20 New Member

This feature is deprecated and Microsoft will not make any changes (As they said [;)]
    check http://connect.microsoft.com/SQLServer/feedback/ViewFeedback.aspx?FeedbackID=334289

IN BOL of sql 2005 , 2008:
    This feature will be removed in a future version of Microsoft SQL Server. Avoid using this feature in new development work, and plan to modify applications that currently use this feature.
  8. bclaxt1 New Member

I was aware that the old style of maintenance plans is considered legacy but I didn't think about the fact that Microsoft doesn't offer support for it. Unfortunately, our web application that pushes out our database backup jobs would need to be changed changed extensively to handle the new maintenance plan structure. So, for now, I'm stuck using the old maintenance plans but will rewrite the code when time permits. Thank you all for the help.
  9. satya Moderator

Can you redesign such maintenance plans on SQL Server side to continue the backup aspect of tasks?
  10. bclaxt1 New Member

Satya,
    I assume by "such maintenance plans" that you are referring to the new SQL Server 2008 maintenance plans. I can manually create these new plans and have them backup our SQL 2008 databases. The only problem is that the backups for our SQL 2008 servers will have to be managed manually instead of with our automated system. Our automated system allows us to manage every aspect of backup jobs with a simple web front-end. We'd like to be able to manage our SQL 2008 servers with our in-house tool just like we do older SQL versions. Essentially, I'd have to redesign the front-end to handle pushing out SSIS packages to remote servers for SQL 2008 backups.
  11. satya Moderator

YEs thats what I assumed, but I believe due to the changes of ADMIN overhead this something you have to address on front-end of that tool, good luck.
  12. MohammedU New Member

Is "SMO and DMO XPs" option is enabled? If not enable it...
  13. bclaxt1 New Member

Yes, SMO and DMO XPs option is enabled. Thanks for the idea.
  14. MohammedU New Member

Have you tried SP1?
  15. bclaxt1 New Member

Yes, SP1 is installed. It's one of the first things I tried. Thanks again for the idea.
  16. arhipoff New Member

Hi,
    I contacted MS about this issue and turned out that they recently updated SQLServer2005_BC.msi, unfortunately they did not give it another name, you can only tell by file size, right size of the msi file is 11,273 KB. Works like a charm with latest and greatest.
    arhipoff
  17. bclaxt1 New Member

Arhipoff,
    Thank you for the reply. I will try the new file first thing in the morning and see how it works. I'll post back and let you know how it goes.
  18. bclaxt1 New Member

I couldn't wait until the morning .... just tried the new file and it works like a charm. Thanks so much for your help.
    Ben
  19. arhipoff New Member

I'm so glad, you made my day!
    Your post moved me to call them, looked like you've tried everything else there is... And it was not a quick call, we exchange about 10 e-mails, I was escalated to second level before it occurred to me that the file I downloaded 3 weeks ago may be different from the one they are talking about...
    Good luck Ben!