SQL Server Performance

SQL Server Installation is failing

Discussion in 'ALL SQL SERVER QUESTIONS' started by jjsqldba, Sep 7, 2012.

1. jjsqldba New Member

Hi All,

I have a requirement installing sql server. But I cannot install successfully. I am explaining the details below. Thank you for the time you took to read it and respond to this post.

SQL server 2008....stand alone.
    Windows 2008 r2

I have been trying to install a SQL server default instance;However, its failing to install all the engine services....like.....Database engine services, SQL server replication, full text search, analysis services, reporting services.
    Integration services and other shared components are successfully installing.
    I tried to uninstall the whole thing and tried to reinstall...couple of times, still same results.

After successfully uninstalling all the components, I still see the following under

registery editor/hkey_local_machine/software/Microsoft/Microsoft SQL server/100/machines/
    Name as (default), type reg_sz, data (value not set)

Anyone have any clue/suggestions.

Thank you for your participation in advance.
  2. ghemant Moderator

Hi,
    I would suggest you to refer and follow manual uninstall steps http://support.microsoft.com/kb/955404, and, before doing that can you please check bootstrap log / installation summary as to why it failed to install SQL Engine?
  3. Shehap MVP, MCTS, MCITP SQL Server

You can uninstall completely SQL Server 2008 installations as follows:

Make sure you have administrative rights on the computer

2. Uninstall the existing SQL Server 2008 and all the components from the control panel. Remember to backup the user databases before uninstalling SQL Server.
    3. Backup the registry.
    4. Delete the following keys in regedit:
    --HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Microsoft SQL Server
    --HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\MSSQLServer
    5. Go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall and delete all the sub-keys referencing SQL Server.
    6. Go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services and delete all the keys referencing SQL Server.
    7. Rename all the SQL Server folders in the computer.
    8. Try the steps in the “If you experience problems” section and “Step 3: Uninstall the support components” section
    9. Reboot the machine.
    10. Reinstall SQL Server 2008.

Kindly work it and let me know your feedback