SQL Server Performance

Sql server service not starting at one node in a 4 node active active cluster

Discussion in 'SQL Server 2005 Clustering' started by shantanu, Mar 11, 2009.

1. shantanu New Member

Dear team,
    I have a 4 node active /active cluster ,during failover the ssqlserver service is not starting at one node,it is working elsewhere.
    below are th logs of eventvwr.
    Please help me out.
    [sqsrvres] checkODBCConnectError: sqlstate = 08001; native error = 274d; message = [Microsoft][SQL Native Client]An error has occurred while establishing a connection to the server. When connecting to SQL Server 2005, this failure may be caused by the fact that under the default settings SQL Server does not allow remote connections.
    [sqsrvres] checkODBCConnectError: sqlstate = HYT00; native error = 0; message = [Microsoft][SQL Native Client]Login timeout expired
    [sqsrvres] checkODBCConnectError: sqlstate = 08001; native error = 274d; message = [Microsoft][SQL Native Client]TCP Provider: No connection could be made because the target machine actively refused it.
    [sqsrvres] ODBC sqldriverconnect faile
    regards
    Shantanu
  2. melvinlusk Member

Can you give us a little more information about your environment?
    You have 4 nodes active/active...how many instances do you have (2)?
    Does the service only refuse to start when failover occurs, or does it refuse to run at all?
  3. shantanu New Member

it refuses to start only at one particular node on rest of the nodes the
    service starts normally...we have 16 instances ,,, 2 on the same node
    regards
    shantanu
  4. melvinlusk Member

So you have 4 nodes with 16 instances? So you'd be running 4 instances on each node and not two, right?
  5. shantanu New Member

Yes i have 4 instances running on the node
  6. melvinlusk Member

OK, that clears things up.
    3 instances are running on this node and 1 failes to start. Does the failed instance run correctly when you move it to a different node?
  7. shantanu New Member

yes ,it works fine on the other nodes.. it fails to startonly on this node...
    please help me out
  8. melvinlusk Member

Does this instance run under the same user account as the other nodes on this cluster?
  9. shantanu New Member

yes this instance also uses the same service account..
  10. melvinlusk Member

Something about this instance has to be different from the other ones. Where did you find the errors in your first post? The Event Viewer?
  11. shantanu New Member

Yes i saw the errors at first on the event viewer when i tried to do the failover on the above mentioned node.According to me all the nodes have the same configuration.previously it used to work fine recently we started getting the error
  12. johnson_ef Member

HI Shantanu,From the error which you have pasted mentioned that, SQL Server' "Allow Remote Connection" option is not enabled.Can you check that in Microsoft SQL server 2005->Configuration Tools ->SQL server Surface Area configurationAnd check the MSDTC is running in the node as clustor resource.-Johnson
  13. shantanu New Member

Dear johnson ,
    I have other instances(sql server service) running on the server .. only the problrm is with thi sinstance... it doesnt get started at the node..
    regards
    Shantanu
  14. shantanu New Member

yes the service is running fne....there is some other error which we are not ablw to rectify
  15. melvinlusk Member

So it's running fine now? What is the new error that you can't rectify?
  16. shantanu New Member

i am still having the same error.. the previous post was reply to johnson where he mentioned to check the msdtc service....
    Is there any solution how i can fix the problem
  17. satya Moderator

I guess there could be a problem with unexpected error in the node 4 services, try to reboot the node and restart the services?
    Can you do that during the service and if not try to do during a maintenanc window.
  18. shantanu New Member

After re-installing the sql server also we are not able to fix the issue....guess soem other problem..