SQL Server Performance

SQL2000 crashing server

Discussion in 'General DBA Questions' started by serenak, Dec 19, 2009.

1. serenak New Member

I have had SQL2000 and Windows server2003 running for years, very dependable. My server had to be rebuilt, and the firmware was upgraded ..and I had to apply Windows SP2. Well SQLServer2000 needed an upgrade also, so I installed SP3a. The restore of a large database caused a freeze (blue screen) although the same database copied fine through Windows explorer (70G file). Foxpro crashed on a SQLserver query, and an update to add approx 100,000 rows also gave the blue screen. The server diagnostics don't show a problem with the bios or memory or disk array (Raid 5) so I am thinking there is a compability problem. Would an upgrade to SP4 fix the problem. I cannot downgrade to the Windows 2003 (without SP) and SQLServer (without SP) as I have to apply the firmware. Would the STOP error on the blue screen (with the hex codes) help figure out what is going on?
  2. satya Moderator

Welcome to the forums.
    First thing first, do you have complete backup for all the databases (you must be).
    You have limited the fix on SQL Server as it is out of mainstream support, not to worry. When you said the Foxpro query is also crashing or when you have tried copying the relevant objects what was the error message.
    Post the error messages to get more information, it is always better to equip the SQL Server to the latest services whihc is SP4.