SQL Server Performance

SQLState = 37000

Discussion in 'General Developer Questions' started by Karen, Jun 4, 2004.

1. Karen New Member

Is there anywhere that more detail is listed on this error? I cannot find a similar error to the one that I am receiving, nor have I been able to find work-arounds.

Detail: A SQL 2k based thir party app just started throwing this error yesterday:
    Select Error: SQLState = 37000
    Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver][SQL Server]Error converting data type varchar to numeric.

There is no reason for this to start occurring. There were no app changes or updates on the server(s). The developer suggested an ODBC error, but in the past this message always indicated programming that needed debugging. Again, this makes no sense that it would start occurring when there was no app change. The action that causes this is something that our people do every day, without error.

I checked the ODBC connection on each terminal server (we use Citrix servers & winterms for many users) and the connection is fine. It connects no problem.

Thanks for any and all ideas and suggestions in advance!

Token SQL Goddess
  2. Chappy New Member

To me this suggest a software fault (or stored procedure fault).

Perhaps the software has let one of your users enter a non numeric field into a varchar that was intended only to store numeric strings. Bad data could explain why this error has suddenly started occurring.

Dont be content with the developers response. Perhaps he can explain exactly what stored procedures the app calls when this feature is invoked, then you can replicate the error from query analyser and if so, it suggests the validation/retrieval of his stored procs or software is flawed.
  3. Chappy New Member

Actually it just occurred to me, you should run sql profiler as you replicate the error, and see what sql/stored procs are being executed. Then you can perhaos narrow down the rogue data if thats whats causing it
  4. bambola New Member

Also to me it sounds like an application error. maybe an attempt to convert an empty string to numeric (select convert(numeric, '') )
    Open a trace and limit it to the login used by the application and you would probably find the source of this error.
  5. derrickleggett New Member

Then tell the third-party to refund you or fix the issue. (grin)

MeanOldDBA
    derrickleggett@hotmail.com

When life gives you a lemon, fire the DBA.
  6. satya Moderator

You may need to check that the referred database data types are being parsed correctly by the db driver. This is exactly the type of error you get from ADO in VB when you try and send the wrong type of value.

Have you tested the procedure in Query Analyser / ISQL? This will normally alert you of any bugs within the SP itself. Once this is done, you can try calling from your client app.

Satya SKJ
    http://www.SQL-Server-Performance.Com/forum
    This posting is provided “AS IS” with no rights for the sake of knowledge sharing.