SQL Server Performance

StartServiceCtrlDispatcher failed (error 6).

Discussion in 'General DBA Questions' started by ramkumar.mu, Nov 16, 2006.

1. ramkumar.mu New Member

My SQL Server Agent is not starting and when i try to start from sql server service manager and control panelservices, it doesnt throw any error. when i ran the exe from command prompt, i got this following error... what is the actual problem and how do i resolve this???

StartServiceCtrlDispatcher failed (error 6).

Thanks,
    Ram

"It is easy to write code for a spec and walk in water, provided, both are freezed..."
  2. ramkumar.mu New Member

Any luck for me?

Thanks,
    Ram

"It is easy to write code for a spec and walk in water, provided, both are freezed..."
  3. Argyle New Member

4. ramkumar.mu New Member

The above link provides solution for sharepoint servers. My Agent and server are on the same server and on the registry i tried finding out the GUID value under sql server agent, but i couldnt find any.

Thanks,
    Ram

5. johncullinane New Member

We had a similar error while running SQL2005SP2. We did receive an error 1067 when manually restarting it via the services snapin. Turns out dot net 2.0 was corrupted. This was only determined while trying to repair the SQL install and received a prompt regarding dot net 2.0. Nothing else in the event log was useful. Hope this helps.
    Regards,
    -John
  6. evilpostit New Member

I had this problem and it turned out to be that someone had changed the location of the SQLAgent errorlog file.
    Look at the following registry key to ensure the path is valid.
    HKLMSOFTWAREMicrosoftMicrosoft SQL Server[Instance name]SQLServerAgentErrorLogFile.
    Hope this helps [:D]
  7. Nick Beagley New Member

I had this problem and after verifying that the registry entry evilpostit directed me to was correct, I deleted the sqlagent.* log files in that folder.The sql server agent could then start without issue creating fresh sqlagent.out files. It seems that with the filesystem security setup on this windows 2008 host the new service account didn't have sufficient permission to overwrite the previous service accounts' sqlagent.out file