SQL Server Performance

Supersize Express Edition

Discussion in 'EditorsBlog' started by shanetasker, Aug 13, 2008.

1. shanetasker New Member

I have been on the road for over a week now and I decided this morning that I wanted something a little different to hotel food for breakfast. I had a chat to the concierge and despite his best efforts to point me in the direction of the hotel restaurant, he finally told me about a great little cafe in St. Paul that overlooks the Mississippi river. I went in search of the cafe and unfortunately it was closed. By now my chances of finding somewhere else for breakfast before I needed to meet my exam group were rather slim. There was a little diner I passed on my way to the cafe that was selling bagels and coffee, so I thought I would see what was on offer. When I asked for a coffee the waitress responded, "Would you like large, extra large, or jumbo."
    To be honest I really didn't care about the size of the coffee. I just wanted something that would help wake me up first thing in the morning. Previously, I had to make a similar decision with SQL Server 2005 Express Edition, either Express Edition or Express with Advanced Services. With the release of SQL Server 2008 Express Edition, which is now available for download, comes another choice, Express with Tools. Now I am not sure that we really need three versions of Express Edition, why not simply provide an install option to select which features should be installed?
    - Peter Ward
  2. pedrolopezmail New Member

The only advance that I can see is for distributed package, since the footprint can be small when necessary. Especially for un-attended installations.