SQL Server Performance

System tables and applications build to use them?

Discussion in 'General Developer Questions' started by davidwilson, May 6, 2008.

1. davidwilson New Member

Hello,
    Can you provide me with examples as to how you would go about in using the Systems Tables in replication between machines? As I understand it you can use replicate various database objects among different databases on different servers which is based on the actual database definitions.
    Cheers
    Dave
  2. MohammedU New Member

Do not use system objects in your application becasue MS changes functionality and data without any notice...
    you can't replicate system objects if you are thinking of using sql server replication.
    Use information schema view in SQL 2000...
  3. jagblue New Member

Hi Mohammed,
    Information Schma views is supported in SQL 2005
    For SQL 2000 we need to query system tables depend on Kind of Information we need.
    Thanks
  4. Adriaan New Member

The INFORMATION_SCHEMA views have been around for a long time - they were certainly there in good old SQL 7.
    I agree that these views do not always give you the information organized in a very useful way - and neither do a lot of system stored procedures, to be honest. And that is when you may need to retrieve data directly from system tables - fine, just be aware that there may be changes to the structure of system tables for each newer generation (SQL 2005 introduced a lot of changes).
    Just NEVER EVER insert, update or delete directly against system tables!