SQL Server Performance

Taking Database backup for every 4 hrs in SSIS

Discussion in 'SQL Server 2008 General Developer Questions' started by vinayak.v, Dec 28, 2010.

1. vinayak.v New Member

hi..
    i'm trying to retrieve the data from database using ssis package..
    database name is employee which contains 48 tables and it is around 20GB of memory.. it is a production
    database..

now what i want is to retrieve the data for each four hours..
    i.e i want to execute the package for every 4 hrs..

now what i did is i have taken a database transfer task and from the
    source i.e production database i want to transfer to my database
    which works fine..

but what is the problem here is for every 4 hrs whole DB is replaced in my system
    i've given overwrite TRUE..

Here user enter the data into database for every 4 hour is minimum 10 MB of data..
    instead for replacing the whole database for every 4 hrs is there any
    solution that what user enter data into database only that much amount of data should be append into my system..
    Is it possible.. how to do it..
  2. FrankKalis Moderator

Not a direct answer, but if you really a that frequent refresh from the production database, you should probably look at different solutions altogether. Sounds like a good candidate for Log Shipping to me.
  3. satya Moderator

Do you need that data transfered to your system for reporting purpose?
    Are you looking to provide a standby to your database system?
    Are you trying to run any reporting tasks on your database once the data is transfered?
    As Frank mentioned you need other ways to provide a standby to your existing data platform.
  4. RamJaddu Member

If you are using for reporting purpose best choice would be logshipping. with logshipping you won't be able access database while it restoring transactional backup on secondary server.
    - to aviod this down time other alternative would be SSIS packages or T-sql scripting.