SQL Server Performance

Test system size internal debate

Discussion in 'SQL Server 2005 Performance Tuning for DBAs' started by goofykc, Jun 20, 2008.

1. goofykc New Member

We are having a debate at my company over the setting up of a test system, for performance testing. We want to try and duplicate our production server and see how much size will be taken up by the creation of new indexing and how long it will take to do so. We have another faction here that says that we only need to set up a test system with a few thousand records and that we should be able to do any kind of testing that we need. Our argument is that we want to accomplish over all system/performance/resource testing and not just logical flow testing. Any ideas/comments/thoughts/suggestions either way will be appreciated.
  2. Luis Martin Moderator

Databases have different behavior with 300 records than 30000 or 3000000 records.
    So, to me, more records in testing, more chance to detect performance problems. I'm with your position.
  3. moh_hassan20 New Member

it is recommended that the test environment match the real production to get reasonable results: servers/raid storage/network....
    You can use automated tools for testing insert/update/delete/select operation that simulate max no of concurrent users.
    A detailed test plan with different test cases that simulate the expected real environment is recommended.