SQL Server Performance

Totally Backwards Compatible?

Discussion in 'SQL Server 2008 General DBA Questions' started by ptimmerm, Mar 24, 2009.

1. ptimmerm New Member

I have been doing some DBA work for a while now and I typically match vendor recommendations for their databases to the actual version of SQL Server. I now have a vendor insisting that all 2005 databases can run on 2008 because it is "backwards compatible". If they were just making this recommendation for their DB, so be it. However, they are creating a bit of a buzz that we can take ALL of our 2005 databases and run them on the 2008 engine.

I have plenty of items running on 2005 at an 80 compatibility level, but it is my understanding that is very different than running on SQL Server 2000.

Can someone help with this? Am I misunderstanding?

2. SmartDBA New Member

You can have database restored on SQL Server 2008 and leave the compatibility of restored database to 80 / 90 or 100. However before doing so it is recommended to run upgrade advisor once to know any potential issues.
    You can refer to the following thread for more information http://www.mytechmantra.com/forums/index.php?topic=4.0
  3. FrankKalis Moderator

The difference however between 2000 and 2005 are much bigger than the difference between 2005 and 2008, but I would be very careful with such generalized statements, if I were a vendor. [:)]