SQL Server Performance

transaction log

Discussion in 'SQL Server 2008 General DBA Questions' started by klehonia, Jun 4, 2010.

1. klehonia New Member

Hi, can i monitor what writes in the transaction log? It grows continuously and i would like to check what transactions writes. With profiler can i see this?
    thank you
  2. Luis Martin Moderator

I think you need a 3rd party tool. Check ours sponsors.
  3. preethi Member

4. SQLWorld New Member

DBCC LOG does not give the record detail. you might use 3rd party tools or can create a trigger to records the event.
  5. satya Moderator

You will not get anywhere using any third party tool or monitoring transaction log, you have to go thru the architecture of transaction log and number of processes (SELECT/INSERT/DELETE/UPDATE) on the server.
    Here is what referred in Books ONline:
    Every SQL Server database has a log that records all the transactions and database modifications made by each transaction. The transaction log is a critical component of any database, and understanding and managing this log is a critical part of the database administrator's role. This is particularly true under the full and bulk-logged recovery models, which require backing up the log on a regular basis.
    TO manage the Tlog:
    You can monitor log space use by using DBCC SQLPERF (LOGSPACE). This command returns information about the amount of log space currently used and indicates when the transaction log is in need of truncation. For more information, see /msdn.microsoft.com/mshelp" />DBCC SQLPERF (Transact-SQL). For information about the current size of a log file, its maximum size, and the autogrow option for the file, you can also use the size, max_size, and growth columns for that log file in sys.database_files. For more information, see sys.database_files (Transact-SQL). For more information see Books online.
  6. venkatesanj@hcl.in New Member