SQL Server Performance

Transactional replication over T-1

Discussion in 'Performance Tuning for SQL Server Replication' started by uncle_enzo, Jul 30, 2008.

1. uncle_enzo New Member

I work for an ASP and our customer would like to have their SQL 2000 database that is hosted by my company, replicated using transactional replication to a SQL server 2000 server in their office over a T-1 for reporting purposes. Data needs to be no more than 2 hours old. I would like to have the database that my company hosts have the least amount of overhead.
    Other issue that may introduce some problems, two separate domains, not trusted. Customer wants to replicate the entire database which is over 140GB. SQL servers can see each other and connections can be made using standard SQL accounts. Here is the setup that I have come up with.
    Publisher is on SQL2000A (ASP side)
    Distributor, subscriber, pull subscription is on SQL2000B (customer side)
    I have done quite a bit of reading and have come to the conclusion that it would be best to have the published database set to single user mode, backup will be taken. I will then fly out to the customer’s site with the backup and restore it. This is the part that is fuzzy for me. What steps do I need to take to get the database synced up? I would really appreciate some direction on this one.
    Thanks
  2. satya Moderator

Dont go with size of database in replication, see the number of transactions that are written/committed in thsi case?
  3. mwright78731 New Member

The backup and restore process works then replication will run through the t-log on the source to get the target caught up. Note that depending on your transaction throughput, you should look at using NitroAccelerator for SQL Server (trial from www.nitrosphere.net). We installed it and get the same throughput over a fractional T-1 as we were getting over 100BaseT. Without NitroAccelerator we were replicating slightly over 100 trans/sec. Now we're at over 9000. Awesome.
    Mark