SQL Server Performance

Transactional Replication

Discussion in 'Performance Tuning for SQL Server Replication' started by james, Feb 21, 2005.

1. james New Member

I am new for transactional replication, I follow the wizard to configure the setting of publisher (DB1) and subscriber (DB2). First of all, I backup the DB1 and restore that data to DB2. Then, I select "No, the Subscriber already has the schema and data" for the "Push Subscription Wizard" and I schedule the Snapshot agent and Distribution agent for each 1 minute.

Then I changed the data in DB1, and found that Log Reader is marked "1 transaction(s) with 1 command(s) were delivered.", but the Snapshot is marked "A snapshot was not generated because no subscriptions needed initialization" and the status of Distribution agent is "Never started". I tried to start agent for the snapshot and start synchronizing for distribution agent manuually, but both failed.

How can I start the transactional replication?

Thanks in advance!

James
  2. james New Member

In the previous thread, I used the "Pull" subscription for transactional replication.

Now, I used "Push" subscription, but it prompted the other error message: "Violation of PRIMARY KEY constraint "PK__@snapshot_seqnos_6AE5ADFB", Cannot insert duplicate key in object "#69F189C2". I don't know why the violation of primary key? The replication is used the primary key to update the records, right? But now, they seem to insert rather than to update the records.
  3. james New Member

I solved the problem. I replicated the whole database structure to the subscriber, then I can use the database in the publisher or subscriber to do the normal operation (insert, update, delete). If the publisher is updated, the transactional replication will be operated to copy the changed data to the subscriber.