SQL Server Performance

Try a Different OS

Discussion in 'EditorsBlog' started by shanetasker, Sep 10, 2008.

1. shanetasker New Member

The primary goal of a database management system (DBMS) is to store and retrieve data. However, there is no point storing the data unless consistency can be ensured. That is, the data is not corrupted by the DBMS, and when you store three widgets in the database and query the number of widgets, three is returned and not some other number. I came across an interesting feature in MySQL today. Apparently, when MySQL is run on Windows Server 2008 there is an issue with the query cache so that the data that is returned by a query is not guaranteed. That is, if your query returns three widgets, there is no guarantee that this is actually the number of widgets stored in the database.
    The fix to this particular problem is to run the version of MySQL on Linux instead of Windows. To me, this is like saying that you can't watch a DVD on an LCD TV but must instead purchase a black-and-white TV. I am sure that there are many stories like this of software not running on a particular version of Windows but I have never come across a product that is designed to run on Windows but needs to be installed on a different operating system in order to ensure that the data is consistent. Have you ever come across an issue like this before?
    - Peter Ward
  2. calvinsun New Member

Peter,Thanks for sharing this "interesting feature". Could you please provide a test case?Regards,Calvin
  3. lancyqusa New Member

I dont think it is necessarily a bad thing to suggest a different OS if it doesnt work well on one. Can you imagine the horror if that issue happened on SQL Server and you have NO choice of OS because it works only on Windows?? I work on SQL Server, MySQL and Oracle environments at my workplace, and I really appreciate the merits of having a software run on multiple OS's. To answer your question, yes - we have run into situations with Oracle where an issue is detected on one OS but not on the other. Typically, there would be workarounds for those issues. If one is really desparate and there are no workarounds, you could choose to run the database on the OS where it works for some time and move it back - you atleast have a choice.
  4. I was not suprised that MySql has some issues running on the Windows environment. That's my only beef with an open source technology is that it's open source. As much as I all about having inexpensive software and database solutions, it can't be an the risk of running into quirky issues like has been described here. Just my opinion.