SQL Server Performance

Tuning Stored Procedure

Discussion in 'SQL Server 2005 Performance Tuning for DBAs' started by ugandhar_c, Sep 26, 2007.

1. ugandhar_c New Member

Hi all,
    Can any one please help me the list of points that we need to consider while turning the Stored Procedures.
    What i needs to be done in sequence
    Thanks in advance
    Regards
    Ugandhar
  2. martins New Member

Hi,
    The best thing to start with is to look at the execution plan for the stored proc. You can then identify the longest running queries within the proc and see where you can improve performance by correct indexing or restructuring the query itself.
    You can also run a trace to identify which queries in your database take the longest to execute. A lot of people will tell you to run a trace and then run the performance tuning wizard, but I personally don't like to do that. In my opinion you will get better results by spending time with each procedure's execution plan.
    Read up as much as you can about execution plans and performance tuning, as this is quite a tricky subject that takes a lot of practise and understanding.
    Hope this help.
  3. ghemant Moderator

4. satya Moderator

I feel like your question is an open one that can give many do's and don'ts, but rather I would like to ask you what kind of problem you are facing for such slow SPs in order to identify where the issue is.
    The referred method and artciles are good to go, if you can specify the current problem then it helps to give you more leads.