SQL Server Performance

Unable to to restore Backup, comes up with error message 3241

Discussion in 'SQL Server 2005 General DBA Questions' started by viksar, Aug 21, 2007.

1. viksar New Member

I am trying to restore 2 month old sql server backup however I am getting error message every time I try to restore this.
    ERROR MESSAGE:
    Server: Msg 3241, Level 16, State 37, Line 1
    An exception occurred while executing a Transact-SQL statement or batch. (Microsoft.SqlServer.ConnectionInfo)
    The media family on device 'C:StageDB_Live_Backup_May_2007.BAK' is incorrectly formed. SQL Server cannot process this media family. RESTORE HEADERONLY is terminating abnormally. (Microsoft SQL Server, Error: 3241)
    We do have SQL server 2005 enterprise edition 32 bit with SP1. This backup is 2 month old when our server was without SP1.
    I have tried building up another server without SP1 and tried to restore this backup, however I still get the same error message. Does that mean this backup is incorrect??
    Is there a way I can correct this and restore???
  2. satya Moderator

May be that backup is not taken correctly, try to run RESTORE VERIFYONLY to see whether it is consistent, otherwise not alternative to restore from a corrupted backup file.
  3. viksar New Member

I have already tried verifyonly option and it still comes up with same error message relating to "Report header"
    Is there a way I can restore this backup. Also what caused the backup to be corrupted. we always use "Backup verify" option with backup and our backups never reported any error or failure or incorrect verification.
    For knowledge sake what can be done to avaoid this and what could cause "restore header" to fail.
    Thanks
  4. satya Moderator

Root cause is the backup file is corrupted, this could befor many reasons say if the source server is using disk compression and when you have tried copying to other share it might gets such issues (as far as my exp. is concerned).
    I believe using VERIFY or HEADER is no use now, either you have to get a fresh backup file copy from the source or contact MS Support if this is a live SQL Server database to rstore.