SQL Server Performance

Unavoidable Tasks

Discussion in 'EditorsBlog' started by shanetasker, Sep 12, 2008.

1. shanetasker New Member

There is a saying that there are two things in life that are unavoidable, death and taxes. Well I think that there is a third thing that is unavoidable, and that is moving house. Today my wife and I finalised all of our packing and started to move things across to our new house in preparation for the removalists tomorrow. Thankfully, our new house is less than 500 meters away from where we are currently living. I think that a person only has a certain number of moves in them before they are unable to move anymore. As a child my wife moved almost every year whereas on the other hand I lived in the same house for 20 years. That being said this is our fifth house as a couple in the last eight years. The problem with moving is not the moving part put the packing and unpacking associated with moving. Once you have moved there is typically a sense of satisfaction with the new residence.
    In life just as in work there are things that we do that we do not want to do; however, there is a certain sense of satisfaction once they have been completed. For example, as a database administrator one of the most mundane chores can be performing maintenance tasks. Although maintenance tasks are not the most exciting functions they are certainly the most important. The sense of achievement comes from these tasks when there is a need to recover data for one reason or another. As a DBA what are the tasks that you most dread?
    - Peter Ward