SQL Server Performance

Upgrade Sql Server to reduce Deadlocks

Discussion in 'SQL Server 2008 General DBA Questions' started by Israel, Sep 22, 2009.

1. Israel New Member

I am having problems with deadlocks in Sql Server 2000. Strange deadlocks, they are happening on transactions with only SELECTs. I am thinking about upgrading Sql Server to 2008 or 2005 version. Can the deadlocks be reduced with this upgrade?
    Thanks in advance,
    Israel Rios.
  2. Luis Martin Moderator

Welcome to the forums!!
    I don't think upgrade will solve your problem.
    You have to review why deadlocks happens. May be you need betters indexes, or add NOLOCK in some select, etc.
    In short after a good performance (profiler, performance monitor, Index Tuning, etc.) analysis you can think in any change.
  3. FrankKalis Moderator

Welcome to the forum!
    I would second Luis. However, what I don't understand from your description, is that you say you have "transactions with only SELECTs". What do you mean by that? Can you please post the code that you think is causing the deadlock?
  4. Israel New Member

Thank you for the awnsers.
    What I mean is that some transactions where only SELECT statements are performed are involved in deadlocks.
  5. satya Moderator

6. Israel New Member

What about upgrading to 2005 or 2008 and changing the isolation level to SNAPSHOT? Do you have any concern about this solution?