SQL Server Performance

using SQL account to logon to cluster failing

Discussion in 'SQL Server 2005 General DBA Questions' started by shab_nyc, Jun 28, 2010.

1. shab_nyc New Member

Hi all,
    I have the following problem.
    I created an SQL account user 'Test' and granted system admin rights to it on a cluster environment. when I try to login using this account, I get error message saying 'login failed for user 'test' the user is not associated with a trusted SQL server connection (microsoft error 18452)
    does anyone know why it is acting like that.
    help is appreciated
  2. shabnyc Member

btw the SQL instance is configured for mixed mode authentication. Its 2 nodes cluster.
  3. satya Moderator

4. shab_nyc New Member

Hi Satya, thanks for your reply.
    The sa was disabled. I enabled it, changed its password, and did try login using sa, but still having same error message as above for the sa.
  5. ghemant Moderator

Hi,
    Did you check the link Satya has posted above, ensure that you are using Mixed Authentication mode!!
  6. satya Moderator

Please post the complete error text, I'm guessing the event ID & number problem here.
    Also specify the kind of authentication you are using.
  7. shabnyc Member

Hi Satya, here is the error message
    'login failed for user 'test' the user is not associated with a trusted SQL server connection (microsoft error 18452)
    Event ID: 18452
    thanks
  8. satya Moderator

Ok, it looks like the network is having DNS problems, also check event viewer log if there is an entry for SSPI handshale error 17806.
    Get yoru network expert to see if DNS errors are reported, there are other tweaks which I don't recommend as it si a production server.
  9. shabnyc Member

Thanks Satya, there is exactly SSPI handshale error 17806. how could DNS affect the cluster?
    ** Update: when I isolated nodeB from the cluster, logins seem to work normally. I created test SQL user and I was able to login using this ID. this is weird?
  10. satya Moderator

No direct threat from DNS issues to cluster but you may see "
    SQL Server cannot log on to the network after it migrates to another node" & "
    The Network Name is offline and you cannot connect to SQL Server using TCP/IP"
    related issues.

Also you need to do is download the setspn utility http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=5fd831fd-ab77-46a3-9cfe-ff01d29e5c46&displaylang=en to return required information.

Further I will recommend to talk to network experts to see if they can reboot the DOMAIN controller to fix any DNS issues.