SQL Server Performance

What are some gotchas in using extended properties of database objects?

Discussion in 'SQL Server 2005 General DBA Questions' started by pcsql, Dec 19, 2007.

1. pcsql New Member

I'm thinking about using extended properties of database objects to store like description of databases, tables, columns and then retrieving them to a .NET application for different purposes such as displaying value of extended properties as column caption in a grid or filtering database objects based on value of extended properties. What are some gotchas in using extended properties of database objects this way?
  2. satya Moderator

3. pcsql New Member

Hi Satya,
    I have just downloaded the Sept 2007 BOL. I'm not sure what I need to look at since I don't know the relationship between extended properties of database objects and DMVs. Can you give me more direction on this?
    Thanks.
  4. satya Moderator

Refer to the SMO & DMVs topic on the books online to see for any information.
    Also I would suggest to run a PROFILER while you choosing the extended properties of that database, where you will see the underline statments execution, that can be used on the code within your application.