SQL Server Performance

What Does the Internet Say About You?

Discussion in 'EditorsBlog' started by shanetasker, Dec 30, 2008.

1. shanetasker New Member

Have you ever typed your name into your search engine of choice to see what is returned? This may sound vain, but if you have applied for a job in the last few years chances are this is one of the first things that your prospective employer has done. Recruitment companies and employers are using the Internet as a tool to find out more information and filter perspective candidates. Using the Internet it is very easy to find out a wealth of information about a person.
    The advent of social networking tools such as LinkedIn and Facebook means that everything from your employment history to what you do on the weekend can now be viewed using a search engine. I recently read a story in a magazine of an employee that was reprimanded for taking a day as sick leave when instead the employee was at the beach with his new girlfriend. The employee's boss checked Facebook and saw that the status was changed and that there were a number of photos of the employee uploaded to the site. What does a search of your name reveal about you, and how would you feel if your employer saw the results?
    - Peter Ward
  2. unclebiguns New Member

As long as the employer verifies the information is really about me I don't mind. Google Jack Corbett and check out the first result. For my chosen path that is NOT the reputation I would like!