SQL Server Performance

What Is a DBA?

Discussion in 'EditorsBlog' started by shanetasker, Jan 30, 2009.

1. shanetasker New Member

There are certain jobs in life that are more glamorous then others. If someone asks what you do for a living and you answer fire fighter or pilot then the response is a lot different to someone that responds 'I am a tax accountant'. I think one of the reasons for this is that people understand what a fireman does, whereas no one is really sure what a tax accountant does. I have a good friend that was an accountant that moved into IT as he believed it was a more glamorous profession and he thought that it would be easier to meet girls as a computer programmer.
    When someone asks what I do, my response is based on the target audience. For example, if someone is in the IT industry I will often introduce myself as a DBA, whereas for other people I will introduce myself as an IT consultant or just a consultant if I think they will ask me to fix their printer. One of the problems about being a DBA is that just like a tax account people do not know what it is we do. When you introduce yourself to a stranger and they ask what you do, how do you respond?
    - Peter Ward
  2. Robert Domitz New Member

I simply respond with "I play with computers and get paid for it!." This is true because not only is computer programming my profession, but also a hobby (The "play" part"
  3. Gundapaneni New Member

I used to say about profession as SOFTWARE Engineer, since as you said, if I say as DBA, I need to explain abbreviation and tasks which I carried out.