SQL Server Performance

what is msdb.dbo.sp_sqlagent_get_perf_counters??? which eats lots of CPU

Discussion in 'Performance Tuning for DBAs' started by suniljk7, Aug 8, 2007.

1. suniljk7 New Member

Dear All,When i run profiler i could see lots of entry like :EXECUTE msdb.dbo.sp_sqlagent_get_perf_counterswhich takes lots of CPU and high duration to finish (more than 3000 ms)i did lots of google search but couldn't find much information,can u please guide me with this and how to aviod this which takes more time and cpu..this is very urgent.
  2. FrankKalis Moderator

SQL Server regularly checks if user-defined alert conditions are satisfied. Most likely you will observe the frequent calls because you haven't deleted the sample alerts that are installed with SQL Server. If so, just delete these Demo: ... alerts. You can find them under SQL Server Agent -> Alerts
  3. suniljk7 New Member

yes i checked there is 9 demo alerts running.. can i delete all these just like that?? but one more question why is it eating so much cpu?, if you have any link were i can find more information on this please help me with the link.
    Thanks
    John
  4. FrankKalis Moderator

Yes, you can delete them safely. As for further links, I would suggest searching MSDN. I don't have any direct links.
  5. satya Moderator

MSDN article on adding and removing counters, this blog post too (hot from oven) [:)].
    Follow this thread too and do not post multiple (duplicate) posts for the same problem.
  6. suniljk7 New Member

I disabled all the alters, but still i could see one SPID with this stored procedure.. why is this happening any idea?
  7. satya Moderator

Have you checked which login used with that SPID?
  8. suniljk7 New Member

login is sa only..
  9. satya Moderator

Have you:
    Open Enterprise Manager and expand the Management --> SQL Server Agent folder and click on Alerts.You should see 9 alerts whose names all start with Demo. Select them all and Delete.