SQL Server Performance

What Needs the Most Improvement on Website?

Discussion in 'Please Tell Us What You Think' started by bradmcgehee, Dec 2, 2002.

1. bradmcgehee New Member

I am slowing working to improve this website, and I would like your input on what you would like to see different or new. While I can't guarantee I can make every change, knowing what you think will help me to better assign priorities to the work I need to do, so I use my time more efficiently.

------------------
    Brad M. McGehee
    Webmaster
    SQL-Server-Performance.Com
  2. Chappy New Member

I think the site is superb as it stands. Looking to the future for new features tho, what about a stored procedure repository, especially for DBA's ?

The pinned table scenario was a good (but very simple) example, you could also have sp's for std maintenance tasks, std troubleshooting tasks (investigating deadlock etc), how to send mails etc.

Or perhaps taking books online literally online? (big task I guess). But PHP.net has a great online manual which lets users add comments to each and every page in the manual. This is often invaluable for learning from other peoples findings. The exmaples in books online are ok but often very simple and rarely use more than a few aspects of functionality of the command they are trying to demonstrate.

Just my thoughts.
    Keep up the great work !
  3. royv New Member

I defintely like the idea of a BOL where users can add their comments. Sometimes I find BOL to be a little cryptic, a few nice user-friendly comments would definitely help.

"How do you expect to beat me when I am forever?"
  4. satya Moderator

May be its bit late to addup comments to this thread.

Still I suggest in the Articles section just categorize the each article into concerned/referenced area,i.e, SQL Server Performance Tuning, SQL Server Development how the forums are divided. For a newbie it would be bit slog to go thru any helpful article in the current design.

HTH

Satya SKJ
  5. bradmcgehee New Member

That's a good idea, and I have actually been considering doing this. I will try to find the time the next couple of weeks to do this.

------------------
    Brad M. McGehee
    Webmaster
  6. Argyle New Member

If you decide to categorize the articles please keep the current format as well as an option. When revisiting the site I find it very useful to have a list of all articles ordered by date.
  7. bradmcgehee New Member

Thanks for this input. It is a good idea that I had not considered.

------------------
    Brad M. McGehee
    Webmaster
  8. bradmcgehee New Member

As you may have noticed, I have reorganized the articles page. Is this better, or do you think I still need to do some more work?

------------------
    Brad M. McGehee
    Webmaster
  9. satya Moderator

Brad, it looks perfect now which gives basic idea where to go.

Thanks

Satya SKJ
  10. aitor_ibarra New Member

The site is fine as it is, but I would suggest some improvements to the forum...

1) Make it more friendly to googlebot so that Google search results can include forum pages

2) Timeout the login. I can log in from work, shut my PC down, go home for the weekend, start up, and I'm still logged in. It should really default to log you out after say 30mins inactivity.
  11. satya Moderator

For the first point, I believe Brad will give you better reply.

For the second point I would refer, if you ever use the forum from home and while logon if you mark 'Save Password' box and enabled cookies. That will automatically picks up the details when browse the forum. I have seen this behaviour on my office and home machines.

Satya SKJ
  12. aitor_ibarra New Member

being googlebot friendly - this means avoiding URLs with parameters (e.g. this page's parameter is ?TOPIC_ID=89 - most search engines will avoid dynamic pages. I've seen googlebot index dynamic pages before, but a page is much more likely to get in if it is non-dynamic.http://www.webmasterworld.com is an excellent example of this and its entire forums are indexed regularly by google.

As an example, instead of:

http://www.sql-server-performance.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=89

you could have

http://www.sql-server-performance.com/forum/topics/89
  13. bradmcgehee New Member

Thanks for your feedback. The only part of my website that uses URLs with parameters is the forum. Also, only in the last two weeks, I have turned off security to allow the forum to be searched. Before, I had set up security to prevent this, but I have had a change of heart. I have noticed that Google has some references to pages found in other websites used by the Snitz Forums (the software I use), and I am hoping that will be the case for me. I probably won't know for a week or two until my site is spidered again.

------------------
    Brad M. McGehee
    Webmaster
  14. satya Moderator

2 new forums for Performance and scripts.
    Contribution from other professionals is really good idea in this forum.

Satya SKJ