SQL Server Performance

What software is best for Performance MOnitoring

Discussion in 'Third Party Tools' started by rweinstein, Aug 31, 2004.

1. rweinstein New Member

Please post the software vedors/products you guys have had VERY GOOD experiences with using to automatically collect Hardware and DB performance statistics and indicate hardware/DB issues.

We are looking at purchasing this type of software and would like it to have most, if not all of the following abilities.

·Collect statistics on all system servers with almost no additional load
    ·Store the log file statistical data is a SQL server database
    ·Provide dashboards and 24 X 7 X 365 analysis on the current status of each server
    ·Provide canned reports with statistical analysis and trending data
    ·Provide a place to record all system improvements and further analyze the impact analysis of these improvements to the system
    ·Indicate where bottlenecks are occurring
    ·Provide warnings and indicators as to time periods of performance degradation
    ·Give suggestions as to how to resolve any software or hardware performance related issues
    ·Automate the creation of system documentation
  2. Luis Martin Moderator

I've moved to this place.

BTW: Did take a look ours sponsors?

Luis Martin
    SQL-Server-Performance.com

All postings are provided “AS IS” with no warranties for accuracy.

3. satya Moderator

http://www.sql-server-performance.com/news.asp for more information on what Luis referred.

Satya SKJ
    http://www.SQL-Server-Performance.Com/forum
    This posting is provided “AS IS” with no rights for the sake of knowledge sharing.
  4. rweinstein New Member

Satya,

I appreciate the input on this, but I can do all of the research in the world. I did look at all the info on this site and all the vendors, but instead of doing free trials on 5 different products, I posted here to see all of you guys, as experts and as seasoned DBA's, opinion as to what the best tools you have used, what are the good points, downsides, etc.

Companies will always put on their sales hats to sell you anything, but this forum has a huge number of excellent people willing to share their experiences and give advice.

Does anyone use Performance Monitoring tools for SQL Server and the Hardware stats that they would like to share their experiences with me?

I would really appreciate it. At this point, I am looking into Idera - SQL suite.

Thanks.

Rodney
  5. satya Moderator

To be frank with you we do not use third party tools on the PRoduction environment. Personally I've used tools like SQL Suite, Log explorer, ApexSQL log navigator etc which are useful to get information.

BTW, why not use pre-supplied PERFMON (SYSMON) fro such stats on h/w & resource usage?

Satya SKJ
    http://www.SQL-Server-Performance.Com/forum
    This posting is provided “AS IS” with no rights for the sake of knowledge sharing.
  6. Luis Martin Moderator

In use all sql tools and I get 90% what I need.
    The rest with: Quest Central(Spotlight) and Diagnostic Manager(Idera).

Luis Martin

7. rweinstein New Member

I am using Performance Monitor 24 X 7 and am collecting statistics, however I don't have enough free time to do all the analysis and spot the warning signs ahead of time manually. We are looking for a tool that will write this data to a SQL db, will generate reports and historical statistics, including benchmarking, and will give suggestions as to where the performance issues many be and what could possibly fix or resolve them.

Am I asking for too much? Does this software exist? I read the Veritas - Edgewood solutions Whitepaper that uses the i3 software and it sounded good, but I was hoping that you guys might have more real -world experience with a specific tool that really helps a DBA shorten the manual analysis time needed to stay on top of this.

Luis, I looked at Spotlight as well. Would you mind sharing the functionality of Spotlight that you like/dislike, best way to use it, etc?

Thanks.

8. Luis Martin Moderator

Spotlight give you a big picture (on line) about what is goin on in one screen. Also has drill to see in detail each potencial or actual problem. Keep history (one day) and you can configure metrics if default dos not like you.
    Diagnostic Manager big feature is history by minute, hour, days, months and years (and all run in workstation) but is no so good for online.
    You can download both tools as trial. Spotlight is shareware and you can get new key every 60 days. Diagnostic Manager is for one month.

Luis Martin

9. JasonHall New Member

What I do is use a tool from Imceda called Coefficient to monitor my SQL performance and then use perfmon to monitor hardware statistics. Coefficient is the best tool that I've seen to monitor the performance of stored procedures and SQL code but as far as hardware information (buffers, I/O, etc...) perfmon is as good as I've seen. Coefficient will be including more perfmon like statistics in future releases so I'm excited to see what it offers but I'm extremely happy with the way that it analyzes SQL code and how it is performing. I can go into more detail about the tool if anyone wishes.

10. Argyle New Member

We use BMC Patrol and Tivoli
  11. rweinstein New Member

Argyle,

Which Tivoli product do you use? I see hundreds?

Thanks.
  12. rameshv_iyer New Member

quote:Originally posted by JasonHall

What I do is use a tool from Imceda called Coefficient to monitor my SQL performance and then use perfmon to monitor hardware statistics. Coefficient is the best tool that I've seen to monitor the performance of stored procedures and SQL code but as far as hardware information (buffers, I/O, etc...) perfmon is as good as I've seen. Coefficient will be including more perfmon like statistics in future releases so I'm excited to see what it offers but I'm extremely happy with the way that it analyzes SQL code and how it is performing. I can go into more detail about the tool if anyone wishes.

hi, jason, can u please let me know the procedures for taking the snapshot/trace for monitoring the SQLServer.
    My testing is something like this.
    I have a scenario say around 20 steps, i have recorded through loadrunner and have planned for load testing the scenario.
    I run the test for around 2 hours say. In the mean time i monitor the DBServer. How to go about using the co-efficient tool for getting the trace.
    I have used this tool long back around 2 years back after which iam using it now. Can u provide the checklist and also the procedures so that i can have better SQLServer Analysis report. I have an idea that before stopping the load test we need to take the snapshot/trace of the SQLServer so that it gives details for the behaviour of the SP/Code too. Please provide your feedback. Thanks once again
  13. Argyle New Member

quote:Originally posted by rweinstein

Argyle,

Which Tivoli product do you use? I see hundreds?

Thanks.
    IBM Tivoli Monitoring 5.1
  14. Frodoger New Member

i think a good tool to monitor every SNMP Trap, also SQL Server internals is cacti. It runs perfect under debian with a mysql and rdd (all open source) and collect it perfect and draw nice pictures over a long time.

Frodoger
  15. rweinstein New Member

Rameshv,

I am using the free trial of Coefficient and the way it seems to work is you would start your trace and specify it to run for 2 hours or more. Then you run your 2 hour process. When the trace stops, you can analyze the results and the detail of your process. This can also be done on a dev box if you like and want to isolate this stream.
  16. rameshv_iyer New Member

provide me a evalucation license for monitoring for one hour of sql database
  17. pn1995 New Member

Have you looked at SQLStripes from www.purenetworking.net ?