SQL Server Performance

Where should i use bcp and where DTS

Discussion in 'General Developer Questions' started by silicon_master, Jul 1, 2005.

1. silicon_master New Member

Can any one tell me where should i exactly use BCP & DTS

along with it's actual pros and cons(Performance wise).

Silicon Master
  2. satya Moderator

First of all tell us what you want to achieve with data import and export.

Every SQL Server application manager needs to move a large amount of data into or out of a SQL Server database at least once, so SQL Server has several tools for bulk data-transfer operations.

You can choose between two modes of bcp operation: interactive and noninteractive. In interactive mode, a series of prompts asks you to describe the text file's format to bcp. The bcp operation can save this information in a text-based format file for future use. The BULK INSERT statement exposes bcp's functionality in a T-SQL statement. BULK INSERT moves data from a file to a SQL Server table.

DTS is capable of a doing scores of things that BCP can't like running contained VBScript scripts, transforming data on the fly, performing conditional branching, executing external applications, etc. DTS also provides you with a graphical interface for building your workflow visually. The packages can be stored internally in SQL Server, externally as a structured file, or externally as a VB file.

Satya SKJ
    http://www.SQL-Server-Performance.Com/forum
    This posting is provided “AS IS” with no rights for the sake of knowledge sharing.
  3. silicon_master New Member

Hi Satya

Actually i want to know that if i am using bulk copy in such a way that i can easily store my database in different formats & also i have to retrieve data from them based on saome conditions whenever required if my active database in not running.

Moreover i also want to make an optional front end tool for this.

Anyways

THANKS FO RYOUR RESPONSE.

SAMARTH

Silicon Master