SQL Server Performance

which one is faster?

Discussion in 'Performance Tuning for DBAs' started by amu_27, Sep 11, 2007.

1. amu_27 New Member

I have application which planning to create new table with 15M rows in it. The data has been split up evenly with 3 region. What would be the faster? To create 3 seperate table by region? or create one table and 3 seperate views by region? Thanks for help in advance.
  2. ndinakar Member

If you have the right indexes 15 mil is okay in one table. Also do the regions increase as time passes by or will they always be fixed a 3? If they increase, would you keep creating a new table for every new region added? Then you'd have to modify lot of objects to use the new table.
  3. amu_27 New Member

Nope it will be only 3 thus I was thinking 3 seperate tables but decided to ask experts first.
  4. Adriaan New Member

So they will never ever reorganize, not in a million years? Save them from shortsightedness, and do it in one table.
  5. satya Moderator

Good point by Adrian about re-organisation of data to tackle the fragmentation.
    In this case you have to think about growth for this data, if it is stable then you have no issues in differentiating 3 tables. Otherwise better to settle in one.
  6. Adriaan New Member

Satya, I was just bringing up the point of reorganization as a tool of the consultancy trade. Today you're working with 3 regions, in six months they will be split into 7 regions, and in another year they will be recombined into 2 regions.
  7. Adriaan New Member

... and you may want to look into the way that you're registering the regions in the database, and associating data with those regions. Normalization is a powerful tool - if you know how to use it.
  8. satya Moderator

[:)] Fair enough, but when you talk about re-organisation that tends to be for data too and handling such a volume needs to have normalization in order to retain the performance on adhoc basis.
    [quote user="Adriaan"]
    Satya, I was just bringing up the point of reorganization as a tool of the consultancy trade. Today you're working with 3 regions, in six months they will be split into 7 regions, and in another year they will be recombined into 2 regions.
    [/quote]
  9. amu_27 New Member

Thank you Adrian and Satya. But in my case it will be 3 region only and the ETL that we do, excel sheet will be provided by region. This is definate because that are the region business unit office is setup and leagal issue to report by 3 region. this is spread across world there won't be change as compliance.
    In this case if I have table with 15M rows or 5M rows worth of 3 tables, I don't think reorganization and space will be concern as if I reorg one big table or 3 slashed with same size table it would be same.
    Beyond all these the business unit also use the siebel dashboard so they create report against view so there will be new view created. so its still better to have in one table?