SQL Server Performance

why is performance tuning important?

Discussion in 'Performance Tuning for DBAs' started by villaco, Jul 26, 2003.

1. villaco New Member

Hello everybody
    Let me introduce me
    I have already read some of the topics of this forum and I am really surprised, there are topics very interesting. Like u suspect I am only a novice in this world of SQL but I am very entusiast. I have a couple questions about performance tuning.
    What is the goal of to do the performance tuning?
    How do you get the performance tuning?
    It's significant the time you save when you optimize an query?
    What techniques do you implement?
    what is Semantic Query Optimization?
    I am already reading about this but I consider that the opinion of a profesional is better than the theory.
    thank u
    Villaco
  2. Chappy New Member

The goal of performance tuning is to (re)design and (re)implement components of systems to allow them to respond faster, more efficiently, and allow for greater scalability.
    These components can be client code, or db design / stored procs / query design etc.
    This is very important for most systems, as most systems tend to grow in size and complexity, as they mature. If you have underlying performance flaws to begin with, these will become more problematic as the system grows.

The time saved by performance tuning *can* be significant. Part of the expertise in tuning is deciding which aspects to concentrate on. If a query takes 3 seconds but is executed every 5 seconds, then in most cases it would be preferable to optimise this, rather than spending time speeding up a query which takes 4 minutes, but only runs once a day.

The techniques for performance tuning are discussed throughout the site. Start reading your way through the papers and essays. There are no hard and fast rules to follow, but Brad has made a performance tuning checklist which will help get you started.

Hope this helps

3. vbkenya New Member

While agreeing with Chappy, Performance should not be looked at merely as a statistical objective (numbers and counters) to be met by 'blindly' tweaking various parameters of the database and its constituent objects. Most DBA's walk this path and reactively run around in circles trying to realize 'ideal' metrics when a simple well thought out design would have done the trick. I have always claimed to be a strong proponent of 'Designing for Perfomance' and I will continue to state that performance tuning starts at the drawing board and not at the script editor.

This site is replete with numerous tips and articles concerning perf tuning techniques. Read on and try out some of the advice.

Nathan H.O.
    SQL-Server-Performance.com
  4. villaco New Member

Thanks for your comments
    I have another question.
    What happens if I didn't design the system? can I optimize the performance of a system in the db perspective even if I didn't design the db? or is a exclusive task for the designer?
    villaco
  5. bambola New Member

You can optimize the performance anyway. Some performance tunning can be done even without understanding well the system, but most of them will require a good understanding of it.

Bambola.

6. Chappy New Member

Yes, I quite agree with vbkenya. Performance tuning should be something that is integrated into the design stage, not something thats performed as an after-thought, when a system isnt performing as well as hoped.
  7. gaurav_bindlish New Member

To answer to the original question, Performance tuning is about getting the maximum output from the given resources. Now this may not be important in all the cases. As long as the SLA's for the application are met and the batch jobs are finishing within the time window, perfomace tuning is genrally overlooked by most people. These days hardware is not as expensive as it used to be so people have a tendency of throwing hardware when they encounter any problems. But this is not the way things should be.

I agree wth vbKenya and Chappy that performance should be considered in all stages of development. I can infact go to the limit of saying that performnace management is a part of Software Development life Cycle.

This site and other resources on the net have ample amount of information on performance tuning.

Gaurav
    Man thrives, oddly enough, only in the presence of a challenging environment- L. Ron Hubbard
  8. Luis Martin Moderator

I working with differents software providers (no with people who development), so I have to deal with several applications and I don't understand all of them.

That means: I dont work full in one company with one applications software.

In all of them I find serius performance problems and I fix it using SQL tools.

Monitor, Query Analizer, Index Tuning and so on.

I can`t speak with development people because, in Argentina, all of them do not want to ear "you can improve your program if you do this or that".

They call me 666 (diablo in spanihs).

Ok. But the customer are very happy when a report witch take 30 minuts or more, now take 20 seconds and this is a simple example.

I know in 1rst countries is different, unfortunally I don`t work in one of them.

This is a long post to me who speak litte English, appologies for that. More than a solution this post is a (i don't know the word in English) put in the paper all your fillings.

Luis Martin

9. vbkenya New Member

Yes, it is possible but more taxing to be involved in perf tuning after the design and implementation stages have been completed. That is why perf tuning consultancies still continue thrive ('Diablo' above is a testimony of this).

Within the context of software products, Perf tuning will continue on an everday basis considering that growth and change are constants in the DBA's world. You will be looking for 'realistic' performance in relation to the compromises that scalability, availability and security place on your design and/or daily operation.

In fact, the DBA's life could be summarized with one word - Performance.

Nathan H.O.
    SQL-Server-Performance.com