SQL Server Performance

Why won''t my CPU''s run over 7%?

Discussion in 'Performance Tuning for DBAs' started by trwb99, Oct 15, 2006.

1. trwb99 New Member

All,

I am running a massive set of stored procedures on a big SQL server - they are for a simulation application and take over 40 minutes to run often.

The spec of the server is Windows Enterprise edition, SQL enterprise edition, 8gb ram, 8 dual core processors.

When the simulation runs, my CPU average never goes over about 7-8%. I need to increase the performance dramatically, and before I look at the code, I would like to see the job taking a lot more of the processing power of the server.

Anyone have any ideas what I can do to increase the amount of processor my SQL job is using?

TIA

Tom
  2. joechang New Member

i think you are running 1 of the 16 cores at 100%
    it takes some skill to get SQL to run well on a 4 proc/core
    16 cores takes considerable skill

who spec'd the system,
    and who did the assessment to think that your app would benefit from 16 cores?
  3. bradmcgehee New Member

Check the query plan of the SPs in question to see if they are using more than one CPU or not.

-----------------------------
    Brad M. McGehee, SQL Server MVP
  4. satya Moderator

Are you managing the schedule of database maintenance tasks such reindexing etc. within proper times that helps to get optimum performance. This is more important in addition to checking the parallelism with such configuration.

Satya SKJ
    Microsoft SQL Server MVP
    Contributing Editor & Forums Moderator
    http://www.SQL-Server-Performance.Com
    This posting is provided AS IS with no rights for the sake of knowledge sharing.